I’m sick, so I data.
With the annual NBA Draft Combine having completed the anthropometric and athletic testing portion, it’s a good time to update the similarity study I did a few years ago here. To summarize, I take all the testing categories available from DraftExpress (from 2009 through 2014) and use a couple of R packages (ape and cluster) to spit out the similarities between players. The result is a circular dendrogram. The closer two players are on the dendrogram, the more similar they are in terms of the combine results.
A few examples of closest comps for fun:
- Garry Harris and Austin Rivers
- Thanasis Ante… and Wesley Johnson
- James Young and Xavier Henry
- Aaron Craft and Jimmer Fredette
- Jahii Carson and Peyton Siva
- Jordan McRae and Jeremy Lab
- Noah Vonleh and Derrick Favors
See if you can find some others. It’s not perfect, of course. But it’s fun. Should entertain you for at least several minutes. Enjoy! Pass it around on the interwebz if you like.